Police Save Puppy From Overdosing On Heroin

A puppy named Lucky lived up to his name after swallowing heroin while waiting for his owners in a parked truck.

Police in Carrollton, Texas, found the 4-month-old Chihuahua mix looking sick inside a truck parked at a Home Depot parking lot on Saturday, according to WFAA-TV. Officers figuredhe swallowed drugsleft on the floor and rushed him to a vet.

We werent sure exactly what was going on with it, but there was drug paraphernalia, police spokeswoman Jolene DeVito told CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. Eventually we did find drugs in the car and made sure the puppy got medical attention right away. Sure enough, he was basically suffering from a heroin overdose.

Police discovered Luckys owners inside the Home Depot, where they were allegedly switching price tags, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. They were identifiedas Thomas Romero, 46, and Nina Crawford, 38, both of Newark, Texas.

They were charged withpossession of a controlled substance/heroin and fraudulent destruction, removal or concealment of writing.Animal abuse charges may be added,DeVito told CBS Dallas Fort Worth.

North Texas Emergency Pet Clinicvet Dr. Stacie Fowler told Chron.com that Lucky was nearly comatose when he arrived and waspretty close to checking out.

He is adorable. He is a tiny little thing. probably only 4 months old and loves to give kisses and is wiggly and wags and is very, very sweet, Fowler said. Hes recovered from something that could have been fatal and thanks to the police staff and the staff here he was able to come out of it.

Once Lucky is healthy, he will be placed in the care of Carrollton Animal Services, and will be put up for adoption.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dog-overdoses-on-heroin_us_58acd985e4b0d0a6ef462ba4?ej6w5z4vtilmu0udi&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

This site makes use of cookies which may contain tracking information about visitors. By continuing to browse this site you agree to our use of cookies.